Wednesday, December 23, 2009

X is for the "X" through knitted Chrismas gifts that are not finished

I know a bad idea when I say one. "I will make my dad socks and finish my mom's sweater for Christmas." I hadn't even completed those thoughts before I know it wouldn't happen.


I tried to order the rest of the yarn for "Amused," but when I found out that the yarn was backordered until January... well, what's a knitter to do?


I consulted Ann Budd's "Getting Started Knitting Socks" to see what would be required to make men's size 12 socks. I immediately bought something else for my dad.



I don't always enjoy knitting (knotted yarn? tinking back?), but I don't like to get done with something and know I half-assed it.


Take for example, the world's worst felted item: my crochet hook case


I didn't do a gauge swatch, and didn't read any instructions on felting, and eventually this ended up in the garbage.

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Xenophon


So I bought Christmas gifts and will make the knitted items in good time. And hopefully I'll have some fun doing it.

No comments: