Friday, February 22, 2008

The Afghan

I've been alluding to The Afghan, but I've actually been working on it instead of just talking about it. But I want to give some history here.

Ok, the original plan was to make February/Amethyst out of Leisure Arts' "Birthstone Afghans" book. I bought 85 oz of Red Heart Super Saver in Orchid. I was going to try to splurge on nice yarn, but there is no LYS within 80 miles of my house, and RHSS Orchid was the closest to Amethyst I could get.

So I start out without doing a swatch because I'm lazy. Not to put too fine of a point on it. I did one pattern repeat and the SOB is 8 feet long. Did I mention I'm also a little loose?
I go down a size to my trusty aluminum H hook, and manage this much




It's 66" wide and 12" long. This is not going to happen.
The backup plan came to me in the yarn aisle of Super Wal-Mart in the form of a free pattern sheet


In 13 hours I had a finished product, which I failed to take a picture of. But it was finished and wrapped before we left our house, so this is a success story in my book!

No comments: