Monday, November 10, 2008

It was worth the back pain

I have a muscle problem in my back that gets worse when sleeping on unsupportive mattresses and riding in the car for extended periods of time. Guess what I did this weekend? And my back feels...? Exactly.

It was a really nice weekend, though, and worth the aftermath to my back. While I had no internet, there is just enough cell signal there seems to be improving so I wasn't totally out of the loop. Saw family, friends, and didn't go to the scrapbooking store. I know that's a total reversal from Friday! That was my last chance - she's closing - but I'm okay with it because I saw my BFFs and their children (and 2 pregnant bellies!) so it was really great. Oh and MIL fed us until I couldn't walk. She makes this dish she calls Steak Pizzaiola that is so delicious. She uses beef and makes the sauce separately. I thought pizzaiola had bell peppers in it, but whatever, this is so good it could be called Mystery Surprise and I would still love it. I make it with venison, so here is my crockpot version.

Venison Pizzaiola

4 lbs venison roast, steaks or stew meat, or any tough cut of beef
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 28 oz cans tomatoes (any style i.e. diced or crushed)
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 C breadcrumbs
1/2 C grated parmesan reggiano cheese

Combine meat, garlic, tomatoes and spices in the crockpot and cook on Low 8 hours. Transfer to a 9x13" baking dish. If a roast was used, cut the meat into serving size portions. Sprinkle the cheese and breadcrumbs over the casserole. Bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes. Serve over mashed potatoes or pasta, or with crusty bread.

No comments: