Friday, February 27, 2009

Misery-fest revisited

I'll tell you what rescued yesterday's misery-fest. I was presented with evidence that I am not stupid.

The Palm incident was the straw that broke the camel's back - I just thought all hope was lost for me if I couldn't install software off a CD and plug in a cable. After DeuceDad came home, I closed myself off in the office and resolved not to leave until I could HotSync the phone. I did leave the office without accomplishing that goal, but by no fault of my own. Turns out, our new PC is running the 64-bit version of Vista, which requires the phone to sync using Bluetooth. I don't have a USB Bluetooth adapter! So there's no way it could work! Even if I was a genius! PHEW!

What an enormous relief that I'm not incapable of performing simple tasks. (No, I'm not trying to insult people who don't know how computers work. I'm a software engineer. Installing software should be a simple task for me. It's like a nurse putting on a bandaid, or at least it should be.)

I'm still raw from yesterday, though. I have this interview (In 7 minutes!!). I kept the appointment a) in case I am wrong about the location, and b) for interviewing practice. Neither of those would be a bad thing. But just rereading the abject misery from yesterday makes me think I need some perspective. I'm not sure what that means right now, but going off the deep end over computer software is a bad sign.

Alright, 1:50. Deep breath...

No comments: