Monday, April 7, 2008

And now for something completely different

(Bonus points to anyone who knows what I'm talking about)


I had a whole post typed about how we're on this rollercoaster right now, but it sounded whiny.


So instead, I'd like to talk about why crocheting gets a bad rap. In The Happy Hooker, Debbie Stoller discusses the awful patterns published for crochet. I was at the library and grabbed some books our of curiousity, to see if what she said was true. I offer for you enjoyment some kick-butt crochet projects:


from "Crocheting For The Home" (1977) I offer you the crocheted birdcage


and from "McCall's Crochet Treasury" (also 1977) , which offered almost too many to choose from, please enjoy the Flower-Color Gown


I was able to find one usable pattern from each book. That's just sad.

1 comment:

bookwoman said...

Yes, but it was the '70s. The knitting patterns back then were just as bad. (Maybe if I get my new scanner hooked up, I'll scan some stuff from my "vintage" books.)