Sunday, March 9, 2008

Meditation

DeuceFamily had a really nice weekend relaxing around the house. It was bad weather (BAD weather) so I stayed in for 2 straight days. This is supposedly my dream. But I was crank-ay Sunday afternoon for no apparent reason. After the whole overwhelmed thing from last week I feel like I have a good action plan for job/move preparation, and even a good mindset - most of what I want to do around the house, I want to do for us. Buy alas, it's not spring yet, and that's really cramping my style.

How am I supposed to clean the windows? Get a roofer? Get boxes for unnecessary items? Air out the house? Paint? When it's a high of 25?

In times like this, there is only one thing to do. Crochet. I have to say I enjoy scrapbooking more than crochet, but it requires at least a 12"x12" clear flat surface, which I don't have right now. So I buzzed up most of the trinity stich square from 63 Easy to Crochet Pattern Stitches.

I didn't quite finish, b/c we started watching Dexter. (Yes, the CBS one, we don't have Showtime). This frickin' show is messed up! (That's a compliment) Michael C. Hall is so good (loved him in Six Feet Under). By the time the first episode was over, I had dropped my work in my lap and was sort of looking back and forth between DeuceDad and the TV. Incredulous that there is an actual good show on TV in the wake of the writers' strike. We watched 2 of the 3 episodes we had recorded. I'm seriously considering getting Netflix so we can watch the uncut episodes back to back.

Ok, what in the world does TV have to do with meditation?

I went to bed all happy about TV and jazzed about the sampler afghan and whatnot and was just not relaxed at all. I'm either cranky or happy or whatever, but never just quiet and relaxed. So I meditated. I did the focused relaxation thing where you focus on a body part and then move over your whole body until you're totally limp. And the just felt that feeling. And then I slept, a quiet restful sleep.

I think I could really benefit from some regular meditation. I know it's important to make time for myself, but it's the pressure of having to *do* something and the time/effort it's going to take that stops me. There's a lot to meditation besides sitting/lying there, but it's a start. And I don't have to clear a space for it. Sounds nice.

1 comment:

bookwoman said...

Meditation is great. See if you can find information on Mindfulness Meditation. It's based on the work of Jon Kabat-Zinn. I've been taking a class since January and it's really been nice. Some of the processes don't even require a huge time commitment. They're just things you can do when you need to refocus (I do them several times during the day at work).

And, if you're enjoying Dexter on TV, check out the books. The first season of the show is based on the first book, Darkly Dreaming Dexter. He's now up to book #3. Sick fun.